Guided by TidBITS Managing Editor Josh Centers, you'll get a close look at iOS 9's new (and old) capabilities on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, along with directions for putting them to use right away.
A What's New chapter gives you an overview of iOS 9's many changes -- including those in Siri, Spotlight, and Safari. The rest of the book describes the details, such as how those with recent iPads can use the new Split Screen, Slide Over, and Picture in Picture multitasking views, plus how to use Mail's new features, how iOS 9 helps you save battery power, the trick to finding the hidden iCloud Drive app, the iPad's new Trackpad mode, and much more. Special topics cover Family Sharing, accessibility, privacy, and managing data usage.
Josh helps you use iOS more effectively than ever with advice on:
• What to check after installing iOS 9
• Which iPads support the new multitasking views
• What to expect from the iPhone's new Low Power mode
• What the new Batteries widget does and how to display it
• How to use a 4-digit passcode on a Touch ID device
• Which cities have transit directions in Maps
• Interpreting the icons in the Camera app's viewfinder
• Adding a person to a Messages group chat
• Letting people through an iPhone's Do Not Disturb cone of silence
• Storing credit card details in Safari
• Setting up Apple Pay in the new Wallet app
• Entering and accessing emergency medical information
• Customizing Spotlight's search results so they work for you
• Making Siri talk like a guy (or gal)
• Telling Siri who you mean when you say "Call Mom"
• Putting an outline around text "buttons" so they look like buttons
What's a Crash Course? As part of our Crash Course series, this book splits the first-rate content you expect from Take Control into short chunks so you can dip in and read quickly. Because so many Take Control readers provide tech support to others, each concise chapter has sharing buttons and practical tweet-tips, making it easy to freely share a chapter with Facebook friends, Twitter followers, and others who really need the information. Take Control Crash Courses have a modern, magazine-like layout in PDF and a reflowable design in the EPUB and Mobipocket.